¡Ay dios mío!, Do I have a story for y'all. My flight from Chicago was to take off at 8:35 this mañana. Well, it didn't. We boarded on time, but had to sit on the tarmac for 2 horas!! First they told us it was because of air traffic and that it would only be about 5-10 más minutos. Well, it wasn't. Then, after we clearly could see that the problem was the giant tormenta—not air traffic, the capitán decided to break the news: it was storming, and that was the reason for the wait. (gracias por letting us know...not really sure how we would have ever figured that one out!). He thought it would only be about 10 minutes. An hour and a half luego..."okay, we're number two on the cue” (cute, huh? Umm, no). Finally, we were on our way...
I made it to Cancun. Like any good passenger, I was asking all the right preguntas and getting all the wrong answers.
And brace yourselves because I don't even think I could make this up: the first señor told me the wrong way to go, then a another man said I should stay with him--wrong--I had to get in the inmigración line (duh!), finally got to immigration when that women told me I shouldn't be there because I had a conexión, so I told her that that señora right over there was the one who told me to do it, she verified it, and I was through immigration. So then, I get my equipaje...thankfully it made it. I was worried it would get lost in the shuffle. Then, these nice men pulled some strings to get us to the front of customs. After we finally got to the boarding desk, they let us know that el resto of the flights for the night were full and that we didn't have any other option but to wait for tomorrow for which we would be put on a lista de espera. Umm...no. TAH (that aint happenin')! I told the man that I had people waiting for me in Guatemala City, that I would even pagar for first class, and that there was no way I was going to stay the night just to be put on a waiting list the next día. No dice--"nothing else they can do." Luckily, I met a nice women and her daughter who were in the same predicament and we decided to share a hotel room because, of course, it’s not the airline's culpa, so we had to pay the $120 for the noche en Cancun. We were about ready to leave when another group of people in the same situation waved us down. Apparentamente, their Mexicana representative was much more productive than ours because they got on a flight, not a waiting list, to Guatemala City for tomorrow (something for which we were told over and over that we would have to esperar). So, okay, a for sure vuelo tomorrow--great! Sort of. We have to fly to Mexico City and then to Guatemala City. After all that, we get to the desk for transportation to our hotel. HA! nope. not right. We had to go somewhere else...fine! Go to stall 26 (there was a parking lot of sorts where the shuttles wait). We go out there, and I kid you not, there is a número 25 and 27, but no 26 (is this some kind of joke?). Thankfully, the sign had just fallen, but the space actually existed. Por fin, we're on our way to the hotel for the night. Meanwhile, I am freakeando because I have no way to contact my professors that are waiting for me in Guatemala City.
From there, it's all fairly smooth. I am in a hotel near the airport in Cancun, not the beaches, so it's not like I can even enjoy Cancun (plus "tropical storm" Alex would have put the dampers on that anyway). I did get a hold of my professor. Turns out, I will miss orientation and the tour of Guatemala City (so, sorry--no sink hole pictures). From the airport, I will go to the hotel where I will be set up with trasnportación to catch up with the rest of the grupo who will have already left the city. That's el plan.
Day 1: ¡Chinga! This better be worth it!!!
wow sweetie it has got to get better from here right? at least you got a hold of professor and he;ll get you caught up to the group Aunt Pammy just called and wanted to know how it all went and I told her to check this out-like she said it could've been worse!! Love you
ReplyDeleteBuenos Noches mija! Bienvenido to air travel!!! Just think of Renee and Arthur spending over 40 horas si 40! to get back to Bangkok thanks to 7 hrs. on O'Hare tarmack. Well, good luck and stay away from those holes. Adios. Tia Pam
ReplyDeleteWOW. Like your mom and Pam said,,,,,, it could have been worse. You have a lot of guts Keri. I would have been FREAKING out. Will be thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteDid you feel like Harry Potter looking for platform 9 and 3/4?
ReplyDelete