Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My bags are packed; I'm ready to go

Hola hola hola!!!!!
So...for those of you who don't know me, I'm a maestra de español in the suburbs of Chicago and loving every minute of it. Because I miss being a student, I am starting my Masters in Spanish through California State Sacramento, which let me tell you, hasn't been the easiest universidad to deal with, but I have been willing to "bite the bullet," if you will, for the uniqueness of this program because, really, it's a dream come true! It has a Travel Study option that can be completed during three summers. (no grad work during the school year? sí, por favor!) AND each summer is a different país hispanohablante. This verano: Guatemala, which is known as The Land of Eternal Spring. 

I am taking three cursos: Magical Realism, Guatemalan Culture, & "Contrastive Grammatical Structures of Spanish and English"--the sad part is that I'm kind of excited about that one. ;) 

Anyway, I have my bug spray, sunscreen, and aloe (well, my textbooks, too) all ready to go. I've also promised mi madre that I wouldn't fall into any sink holes or get smothered in any type of volcanic ash, so now it's hurry up and wait til take off on June 27, 2010.  

Hasta luego...


P.S. Hopefully my landing in centroamérica this time will be better than the last, which resulted in a "woops, we missed the runway, let's try that again" situation in Costa Rica. yikes! :)



6 comments:

  1. Su Madre aqui! I think this blog could get me through this as long as I can figure it out. I will be checking my facebook more often now too. I am very sad to see you go -but happy for you too. Love you mi nina-Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all goes well for you and the trip. Learn lots AND have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be watching our "World News" more closely... have a great time, make new friends, and know you are always in our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay -so I looked at the tropical storm you are flying into in Cancun. Obviously it is going to be a little tricky getting to guatemala city. keep us up to date as much as possible! Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you made it sweetie-I'll be stating up to chat with you at midnight-although I do NEED to know what you meant by "not traveling alone....

    ReplyDelete
  6. chat?? where are you going to chat? facebook, yahoo, google, this blog? I'm up applying for jobs so I'll be looking for you guys at midnight.

    ReplyDelete