Ahhh...a day without traveling somewhere, and it was fabuloso. Our hotel and its grounds/gardens are simply breathtaking as are out views of Lake Atitlan and the three surrounding volcanes.
Today we took a boat ride around the lago and breathed maybe the freshest (most fresh, whatever) air I have ever had the pleasure of taking in. I stood on the front part of the boat with some amigos and just let the air blow on my face as I digested the mystical beauty that surrounded me, which was a nice treat after the mess of the past couple of days.
The first village we visited was San Juan La Laguna. They make the most incredible textiles there which are known for their muted colors. They aren't pastels, but they aren't bright either--they just look so calming and unique because everything is made directly from nature--hand-made, organic scarves, purses, etc. from the planting of the cotton to the its tinting, to the weaving--all done by hand! It's actually really neat because with every purchase comes a tag that describes how it was made and the exact person that it was made by! I, of course, bought a bufanda (I know! another one!!) that is a very pretty yet modest turquoise that was made by Catarina Madez. We also got to see how they dye the cotton and how to weave it. I was able to practice the weaving technique, too!!! on a corn leaf. :) It was still fun to learn and surprisingly easy.
We also visited a primary school where the niños melted my heart. We all brought gifts for them from pencils to candies to first-aid kits. They didn't care what it was, they wanted it! :) I was able to get lots of fotos with and of them, but I left my cable at home so I don't know if I will ever be able to upload pictures...until I get back.
We got back on the boat and traveled to Santiago de Atitlan. We were out in front again when it began to rain...a lot, but es la vida in Guatemala during the winter (which is at least 6 months of the year and at most 10). By winter, I mean the rainy season. We got a little wet, but it was an adventure for sure. Anyway, Santiago de Atitlan is where the story of Maximon took place. Honestly, I don't want to type it all, so if you're interested, look it up--its pretty neat. We saw his stature and an iglesia that demonstrated the blending of Paganism and Catholicism. We ate, we basically swan back to the boat because of the rivers in the calles, and we headed back to our hotel. and here I am...about to take a nap before dinner. After dinner I think some of my nuevos amigos míos and I will have a little fiesta and then sleep. Good, relaxing, and refreshing day. Lots of rain, but it makes things super verde and smells really good. :)
I know sounds magical and OH SO COOL to get such wonderful shopping artifacts! I was looking online at the lake all day thinking about how lucky you are even though you had to get there first. I don't see you online (facebook)I'll try again-maybe you are offline again there is a hurricane in between us you know. Did you know you were a mile high there?
ReplyDeleteEarthquake in southern Mexico felt where you are ?
ReplyDeleteHey my girl.. glad to hear you are okay and finally enjoying yourself. Those first few days made camp look like a Club Med vacation! Hairy and I will make sure to look in on Jethro. Be safe and have fun.. love you, jude
ReplyDelete