Monday, July 5, 2010

Just another day in paradise...

We made it to Antigua, Guatemala, which is my favorite city de centroamerica. It is so old has a european feel to it. It's nestled between three volcanes. I was a little nervous to meet our family because I just had no idea what to expect plus I was sad that the party would be over. :) I had made good friends with a few people and I thought that we wouldn't be able to see each other or hang out as much, but when we got to the escuela where we met our families, my amigo, Lalo, told me, "Kerri, you won't believe this! We are in the same casa!!" So not only am I with my roommate, but three other friends I made are in the same house!! I couldn't believe it. To give you an idea, we (and other people, too) call us "the four" because we were usually together. Then to find out we were in the same casa. I was SOO excited because it takes the pressure off a little and it fun to be around them.

Our house in incredible. It's called the "Casa Bonita." And it is. We have two floors with open air patios on both floors. There's an observation deck of sorts where we have a view of the volcanoes. Our familia isn't what I thought it would be. I was expecting something similar to Costa Rica but it's not--in fact, I am not even sure the woman actually lives here. Her nombre is Ana Lucia and she has a daughter, Paula, that is about 2 years old. We all have to share a bedroom and bathroom with at least one person, but it's not a big deal because they are very nice. MUCHO nicer than when I was in Costa Rica.


Yesterday was the 4 de julio. We started the day by taking a tour of the ciudad going in and out of the churches and some museums. We went to a Jade musuem that was very impressive. I LOVE it! The cool thing is is that jade is my color (for my eyes) and they had SOO much nice and beautiful jewelry. I wanted to buy it all. The only thing I ended up with (but no worries, I am going to go back before I go) was a neckalce with my Mayan symbol, which is I'X (or the jaguar). They have a calendario that you can look up your birthday and year to find your symbol and I was so impressed after I read my description, I had to buy something with it. I couldn't believe how much of it was me to the T.

It says about a I'X that "It is the day of feminine energy, of astuteness, daring, intelligence, and strong natural forces. It is a good day to seek protection for domestic and wild animals, and to ask for an abundant harvest, and for forgiveness for the explotation of Mother Nature. It is the day to give thanks for our home. Those born in I'X are careful, responsible, strong and vigorous. They are called to be AJQ'IJAB or spiritual guides and defenders of Mother Nature. They can be strategists, staticicians, and directors."

I also learned about the REAL Mayan 2012 idea. Basically, everything you've heard is wrong. The Mayas believed that the earth and its people live in cycles. The third ciclo ends in 2012, but another one begins. So no worries. :)

Anyway...I thought that was interesante. After that we went to a restaurants to have some drinks in honor of the 4th. Then, I came home and read and went to bed.

Today was our first day of clases and I still have one to go to from 5-7, but I had two of them already. The first one, and the one I was most excited for is probablemente going to be my least favorite. I love the idea but the professor seems like a piece of work, which I kind of already knew since we had spent the previous semana with him. He literally talked for 45 minutes about nothing--actually he talked about how everything he says connected some how to the ideas and that everything he says is importante to know. HA! Anyway...the other class is going to be VERY easy and fun, I think. :) Tonight I have my Guatemalan Culture class, for which I am excited but I didn't buy any of the libros for it because it said on the syllabus that we could find them easier in Antigua. Well...some of my friends went looking today when I was in class and they went to like 5 bookstores, including the one reccommened on the syllabus and they couldn't find them. So, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens with that.


That's pretty much all I have. Hope everyone had a great dia de independencia. Hasta luego

6 comments:

  1. Must be nice hanging in paradise-glad the classes are going well-love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paradise??? Can't wait to see pics. Glad all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KERRI FREIDHOFFFFFFF!!! We miss you (Bryan and I)... Come home soon! You are the best teacher ever, duhh! And your mother is super cute with all of her comments. Love it! I wanna see pictures! Have fun with the rest of your trip!! We love you Freids :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thanks HND-I am just grasping at every chance i get to chat, blog or grab a comment on facebook about or with my baby girl. We are dealing with 106 heat index today! Whew- i hope you are great and not studying too hard....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww!!! That is super cute Mrs. Simons! Your daughter is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK it's been ten days-you better get with the program and appease all of us bloggers and POST>>>>>>>

    ReplyDelete